Buying a New Garage Door
To us, it’s more than just a garage door. It’s a design element. It protects your home. And it must operate safely. Given its functions, here are some things to think about your new garage door:
Importance of Garage Doors | Choosing Garage Door |
Garage Dealer Reputation | Design Options | Maintenance of Garage Doors |
Energy Efficiency | Strength and Durability | Thickness | Strength & Gauge of Hardware | Construction | Security | Garage Door Warranties | Lasting Value
The next time you look at your home’s garage doors, consider what they do:
- Make up over 40% of your home’s exterior: Your garage door is a big part of your home’s curb appeal. See your garage door as an opportunity to complement your home’s existing architecture and create a seamless appearance. If your garage door doesn’t coordinate with your home’s exterior, you risk 40% of your home looking cheap and out of sync.
- Increase your home’s curb appeal and resale value: A new garage door is one of the best investments you can make when looking to improve your home’s appearance and boost its resale value. Even better — your return on investment after installing a new garage door is far greater than with other home improvement projects.
- Protect your home against severe weather damage: A quality, residential garage door in MN should be able to stand up to the elements and keep your garage and its contents safe when harsh weather strikes. You can certainly find discount garage doors that open and close, but these bargain options won’t provide the durable performance you want and need.
- Offer security to your most expensive purchases: Keep your vehicles and other assets safe when you choose a quality garage door. What you put in your garage is valuable, and those items deserve proper protection.
- Insulate the largest single opening in your home’s structure: Looking for savings? An insulated garage door can provide protection for your vehicles and other assets, and it can also reduce your home energy costs. This is hidden value which makes the insulated garage door worth the investment.
At IDC-Automatic, we offer both traditional and modern garage doors in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. When you’re looking for the home-transforming power of a new overhead door, we can offer wooden garage doors, steel garage doors, carriage style garage doors and more in Coon Rapids, MN, and other communities in and around the Twin Cities.
Contact us today about your garage door needs.
When you stop to think about it, buying garage doors is really an investment in the beauty, value, security, and energy efficiency of your home. And like any good investment decision, your satisfaction is directly related to the quality of the information you have about your choices, the degree to which the investment meets your unique needs, and the professionalism of the company providing the product or service. The information that follows will help you make the right garage door choice for your home, a choice that you will be happy with for years to come!
Before you make an investment in a new, residential garage door in Minneapolis, consider the following:
- Quality: There’s always a low-price option, no matter what you’re shopping for. However, the low-price option doesn’t usually deliver the quality you’re looking for in a product.
At IDC-Automatic, we deliver value by offering quality, home garage doors in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. These garage doors are priced as low as possible, but they also deliver the function and look you want and need. A garage door is a daily part of your home’s operation, and a reliable, residential garage door is vital to the seamless function of your home.
- Durability: You’ll find a variety of material options when searching for a new residential garage door in MN. Given the cold, harsh winters we experience, it’s important you find a garage door that can withstand the coldest months of the year and continue performing (and looking great) over the long-term. A bargain-basement garage door may cost less at the point of purchase, but, if it lasts only half as long as a quality garage door from IDC-Automatic, those savings suddenly disappear.
- Attractiveness: A residential garage door in Minneapolis is a huge part of your home’s curb appeal. Find the right garage door to complement your home’s existing architecture, and you’ll fully transform your home’s attractiveness. The garage door is a huge part of what people see of you home from the street, and a beautiful new garage door from IDC-Automatic will help ensure they’re impressed when they take a look.
- Reputation: Before making a purchase, research the reputation of both your provider and the garage door manufacturer. You’ll find the names that have been in the business for decades have found success because they provide the quality, durability and attractiveness you want in garage doors.
At IDC-Automatic, we’re proud of our deep roots in providing residential garage doors in Blaine, Minnetonka, Coon Rapids and other areas around the Twin Cities. We’re also proud of our partnerships with high-quality manufacturers like LiftMaster®, Clopay® and others.
When you’re looking to upgrade your residential garage door in MN, look no further than IDC-Automatic. We have the experience and knowledge needed to help you through the garage door selection and installation process. We offer three-year warranties to provide peace of mind after installation, and we also offer 12-month, interest-free financing to help you through the investment in a new garage door.
Contact us today about residential garage doors in Minneapolis and nearby communities.
There are many commercial and residential garage door dealers to choose from and choosing the right one is perhaps the most important decision you will make. Look for dealers who have been in business for a number of years, who guarantee their work, and who treat you with professional courtesy and respect. IDC-AUTOMATIC Garage Doors is one of only three door dealers in Minnesota to receive IDEA Door Dealer Accreditation, an independent recognition of door dealers based on quality of work, financial stability, and customer recommendations.
All garage doors contain components that require regular maintenance to ensure maximum safety and performance. Steel doors require significantly less maintenance than all wood doors, but many homeowners are attracted to the natural beauty of wood garage doors. As a natural product, wood requires proper finishing and regular re-applications. Properly taken care of, a wooden garage door will last for years. If steel doors are painted, they too will require re-application of paint over time. Door maintenance is an important consideration but shouldn’t require a trade off with the beauty of the door.
Steel sandwich doors are very strong. When insulated with a high R-value polyurethane, a thinner sandwich door may actually offer increase insulating value over a thicker door insulated with polystyrene.
The weight of your door will also affect its performance and safety. IDC’s 5 Series and 7 Series custom garage doors are designed to offer homeowners the look of wood carriage doors, but at a fraction of the weight.
Your garage doors are actually part of a complicated system that includes the doors themselves, springs, hardware, track and door openers. It is the responsibility of your door representative to properly size door hardware and track to the weight and location requirements of your door.
Garage doors are built using a range of construction methods, offering increasing levels of protection, security, and durability.
SINGLE LAYER GARAGE DOOR
Constructed of 24-gauge or thinner steel skin with no insulation. Offers basic protection and security.
DOUBLE LAYER GARAGE DOOR
Layers: Steel + Insulation
Constructed of a 24-gauge steel or thinner steel skin. Fitted with a layer of expanded polystyrene board insulation and a thin, protective vinyl back cover. Insulation increases energy-efficiency and soundproofing and adds greater structural integrity for quieter operation. Offers better protection and security than single layer construction.
TRIPLE LAYER GARAGE DOOR
Layers: Steel + Insulation + Steel
Often called a ‘sandwich’ door. Constructed of expanded polystyrene insulation or polyurethane insulation between two steel skins. Permanently bonded to the steel skins, polyurethane insulated sandwich doors offer the best insulating value and strength. Sandwich doors provide energy efficiency, soundproofing and structural integrity. The quietest operating of all door types. Offers maximum protection and security compared to single and double layer construction.
OVERLAY CONSTRUCTION CUSTOM GARAGE DOOR
Layers: Steel + Insulation + Steel + Overlay of Wood/Wood Composite/PVC
A 3-Layer door with overlay panels and/or trim wood, wood composite, or PVC material. Offers all the benefits of 3-Layer construction with increased design options from the overlay elements. Typically used for carriage doors.
Protecting your family, your home, and your possessions are the primary functions of a garage door. Choosing a garage door system that is strong and reliable is critical. Because of its complexity, it is important that your door system’s components are correctly sized, installed and maintained to ensure maximum protection. IDC’s staff recognizes this and is committed to ensuring that you have the best door you can buy.
Door warranties vary by model but IDC warrants all parts and labor for one year from the date of installation. Be sure your sales representative provides you with detailed warranty information.
Properly engineered and maintained, a quality garage door will provide years of dependable service. A common complaint from homeowners is that they regret trying to save a few dollars buying the cheapest door, only to spend lots more on repairs and replacements when they don’t last. Quality IDC doors are available for any budget. Backed by our reputation and quality staff, we stand behind every door we build.
Request a Quote today!