Do I Need a Garage Door Tune-Up
Your garage door is one of the most important features of your home. Whether your garage functions as a workshop, storage room, entertainment area or parking space, it’s versatile in that it meets a variety of needs all year long. A quality, durable garage door protects your vehicle, tools and similar personal belongings from theft and other environmental threats.
It goes without saying that your garage door deserves routine tune-ups and preventative maintenance. At idc-Automatic, we recommend annual garage door tune-ups to ensure optimal safety and reliable operation. Regular maintenance can also reduce the likelihood that you will need more costly garage door repairs down the road.
Garage Door Preventative Maintenance Tips
Are you wondering how to perform preventative maintenance on your garage door? A quick visual inspection of your overhead door and your hardware is a great place to start. It’s essential to examine your overhead door for rust or deterioration in your springs, fasteners, tracks, hinges, roller wheels and cables.
Check for major damage to the garage door itself, and contact a professional if anything looks excessive. If you’re uncomfortable tuning your garage door up by yourself or don’t have the necessary tools, enlisting the help of a knowledgeable technician may be your best option. If you have sufficient know-how and understand how to keep yourself safe while maintaining your garage door, try the following garage door maintenance tips:
- Tighten up the hardware: With a socket wrench, be sure to tighten all bolts and roller brackets.
- Lubricate the moving parts: In just 10 minutes, you can grease your garage door parts and ensure smooth operation to your system. Spray lubricant to coat the overhead springs, and use grease on the opener’s chain.
- Check the cables: Inspect the high-tension cables that lift your door for broken strands and damage. Never try to fix these issues yourself, as they are dangerous and require the expertise of a professional.
- Inspect and replace the rollers: Inspect the rollers on your door twice a year and replace them approximately every seven years. And remember — if you notice cracks in your rollers, replace them as soon as possible.
- Test the garage door balance and safety features: Pull the release handle and disconnect your garage door opener. Then, use your hands to move the door about halfway up. If it doesn’t stay put, that means the springs are imbalanced. It’s best to contact a professional technician for any spring adjustments. Check out our solutions for garage door problems for tips on maintaining your garage door’s safety features.
- Replace the weather stripping: If you notice that the weather seal strip on the bottom of your garage door is cracked, replace the weather stripping immediately.
- Clear the tracks: Always ensure that the tracks on either side of your garage door are free of debris.
- Examine the exterior: Inspect your garage door for warping, water damage, peeling paint and rust. Wash your overhead door regularly with a mild all-purpose cleaner.
Safety Tips to Keep in Mind When Performing Overhead Door Maintenance
To maintain a high level of safety when you’re conducting an overhead door tune-up:
- Leave overhead torsion springs alone
- Clamp locking pliers onto the roller tracks below your roller
- Make sure all tension is removed when you need to remove lift cables
- Unplug your door opener and hide controls to prevent your garage door being activated
Contact idc-Automatic for All Your Garage Door Maintenance Needs
Your garage door performs many vital functions, and it’s imperative for you to observe it in action every time you use it. Is it moving smoothly up and down? Do both sides of the system appear symmetrical?
If you notice excessive damage to your garage door, remember that idc-Automatic is here to help. With more than 41 years of experience manufacturing and servicing residential and commercial garage doors in several cities throughout Minnesota, we take pride in our exceptional customer service and top-of-the-line garage doors. Request a quote or schedule a service today, and we’ll be more than happy to serve you.